Susan Nelson was born and raised in the Niagara Peninsula of Ontario, Canada.
- After graduating in 1967 from the University of Waterloo with a B.A. in modern languages,
- she taught high school initially in Kitchener and later in Toronto.
- In 1973 she and her husband moved to Guelph and Susan temporarily retired
- from teaching to raise their two sons.
While in Toronto she pursued an interest in art through evening courses in drawing. After
moving to Guelph Susan continued with her artistic interests through courses in weaving,
pottery, painting, art history and finally in calligraphy in 1979, initially under the disciplined
tutelage of Eric Barth.
(continued at bottom of page)
It was calligraphy that became her passion and she has continued to seek further instruction
through formal courses in both the United States and locally through the Toronto Calligraphic
Arts Guild. She is also a founding member of the Royal City Calligraphy Guild.
Susan has shown her work locally for a number of years and has been a regular participant in
annual exhibitions and special shows. She has won a number of awards in juried shows. She is
presently a calligraphy instructor and for many years taught for Conestoga College. She regularly accepts
- commissions and derives much satisfaction as a freelance calligrapher. In 1996 she was a contributing
- artist in ABC CANADA, the first published collection of selected works from
- contemporary Canadian calligraphers.
33 Walnut Drive
Guelph, Ontario N1E 4B4
visits since February 20, 1999
- INFO FOR ARTISTS
All artwork copyright © by the Artist